On successful completion of this lesson, students will understand the system requirements to install EVE.
EVE is a ‘Client/Server’ program. i.e. there are 2 components to the program:
- The Server: this controls your database and will be installed on one computer only. This is where all of your data will be held. EVE uses a Microsoft product called Microsoft SQL Server to hold your data. This uses a lot of RAM memory so your server computer will need to be a powerful PC. The EVE setup program will install SQL Server for you if it is not already present.
- The Client: this is the EVE program itself that you can use on a single or multiple computers and will use on a day-to-day basis. Each Client component needs to have a permanent connection to the Server – i.e. using a wired or wireless network to connect the computers together. You can install the Client on the same PC as the Server if you wish. Alternatively, if you have a network, you can install the Client on several computers on the network.
Computers running the Client must meet at least the following minimum requirements to run EVE:
|RAM (Random-Access Memory)||256MB (at least 512MB recommended)|
To use the On-Line PICs feature you must have Internet Explorer version 5.0 or later installed, with 128 bit encryption.
EVE has been tested on the following versions of Microsoft Windows:
- Windows 2000 (service pack 4 or later required)
- Windows 2003 Server (service pack 1 or later required)
- Windows XP (service pack 2 or later required)
- Windows Vista
The computer running the Server must meet at least the following minimum requirements to run EVE:
|RAM (Random-Access Memory)||512MB (at least 1GB recommended)|
EVE over the Internet
EVE can be installed so that the database is stored on the Internet so you can use it from multiple locations – e.g. from multiple stores and/or from home or on the road. ISSYS can host the database for you or you can organize to have it hosted yourself. This is a powerful option and you may want to consider it even if you have only one store. If you want us to host your database for you, we will take daily backups for you and perform other system management tasks. It also has advantages in the area of support since, at your request (and only if you grant us permission by giving us a valid user name and password), we can connect to your database and sort out any issues you may have with your data. Please contact ISSYS for more information.